High-Incidence Disabilities (M.S.E.)

For those interested in working with students with high incident high-incidence disabilities, some programs offer the opportunity to specialize in this area. In order to teach children with high-incidence disabilities, special training is often needed, and by taking additional classes in this area, you’ll be better prepared to assist those who need differentiated instruction or specially designed instruction.

Job Overview

With the proper training and experience, an individual can work with students with high-incidence disabilities. This role often requires the instructor to meet the educational needs of students with various learning and/or behavior disabilities, to create intensive academic and behavioral support strategies, and to promote access to the general curriculum. Additionally, the ability to work as co-teachers, consultants, and resources teachers is often a job skill many employers seek. Collaborating with teachers and administrators is often a mandatory requirement for educators in this particular area.

Possible Jobs Include:

  • ESE Teacher for high-incidence disabilities: Resource and/or Inclusion
  • ESE Teacher for low-incidence disabilities: Sensory, Developmental, and/or Multiple/Severe Disabilities
  • Teacher/Specialist: Emotional or Behavioral Disorders
  • Teacher/Specialist: Autism Spectrum Disorders

Degree and Career Information

In order to work in this area, you’ll need the proper degree and certification. You can earn a master’s degree in special education with the option to specialize in high-incidence disabilities. Other programs refer to certification as an endorsement. In both cases, to obtain this certification or endorsement, you’ll likely need to hold a current general education license (early childhood, elementary, or secondary). Students can obtain a master’s degree or may study for endorsement only (non-degree). You can also earn a PhD in special education with the option to focus your students on high-incidence disabilities.

Find a Special Education program

Fill out this brief form to find your degree today!